MNIT Jaipur Syllabus
IT Data Base Modelling and Administration
Data Base Modelling and Administration
Design: Conceptual design, three tier architecture, ER Diagram – entity (strong and weak), Data
aggregation, specialization, generalization.
Data models: Relational, Network, Hierarchical and Object Oriented.
Normalization: Constraints – integrity and domain, Primary key, Super key, foreign key, Alternate key,
candidate key, normal forms 1NF, 2NF, 3NF, BCNF, 4NF.
SQL: DDL and DML, Relational Algebra, SQL Queries, Triggers and views, Constraints assertions.
Data Organization: Sequential, indexed random and hashed files. Inverted and multilist structures, B
trees, B+ trees, Query Optimization, Join Algorithm, Statistics and Cost Base optimization.
DBMS internals: Transaction Processing, concurrency control, and recovery management. Transaction
model properties and state serialisability , Lock base protocols, two phase locking.
1. Almasri and S.B. Navathe: Fundamentals of Database Systems, Addison Wesley.
2. Kevine Kline, SQL in Nutshell, O’Reilly & Associates.
3. Raghu Ramakrishnan, Johannes Gehrke Database Management Systems, McGraw Hill.
4. H.F. Korth, Silberschatz, Sudarshan: Database Systems Concepts, McGraw Hill
5. C.J. Date: Data Base Design, Addison Wesley
6. Hansen and Hansen : DBM and Design, PHI