JNTU Question Papers
Microbiology I Sem Nov 2008
1. What is a pure culture concept? Discuss the importance of pure culture methods
in development of microbiology. 
2. What are “Signature sequences” and Polymerase chain reaction? How are they
useful in classification of bacteria? 
3. Describe the general characteristics of Eubacteria. 
4. How is energy supplied to drive a conc. gradient across the membrane of the cell?
5. Describe the methodology for the enrichment of the following bacteria:
(a) Thiobacillus thiooxidans
(d) Clostridium. [4×4]
6. Define water activity. Explain how water activity influences the growth of different
7. Mention the most preferred method of sterilization for the following materials and
justify the selection of a particular method.
(a) Petridishes packed in a kraft paper
(b) Nutrient broth
(c) Heat sensitive Polythene bag
(d) Heat sensitive vitamin solution [4×4]
8. What are the indicators used for establishing the sterilization of materials by au-
toclaving or by dry heating in a Hot air oven?