JNTU,B.Tech,I-Semester Organic Chemistry,November 2008
1. Discuss the following effects of resonance
(a) Dipole moment
(b) bond length
(c) Strength of acids and bases
(d) Stability of free radicals and carbonium ions. [4×4]
2. (a) Discuss about hydroboration with reaction mechanism.
(b) Describe the Perkin condensation. [8+8]
3. (a) What is a free-radical ?
(b) How do you get bromine free radicals?
(c) Describe the free-radical mediated addition of HBr to alkenes. [4+6+6]
4. (a) Which of the following compounds exhibit optical isomerism?
ii. Methyl chloride
iv. Ethylene glycol
(b) Describe a method to determine the optical activity of an organic compound.
5. (a) How maleic acid and fumaric acid react with acetyl chloride? What inference
you get from this reaction?
(b) Write a note on E and Z configurations of geometrical isomens. [8+8]
6. (a) What are Polymers? How are they Classified?
(b) Discuss the importance of Synthetic high polymers.
(c) Describe the preparation of nylon(6) from cyclohexanone. [6+5+5]
7. (a) How will you prepare pyrrole? Explain its amphoteric nature.
(b) Complete the following reaction.
i. Thiophene with fuming sulphuric acid in the presence of acetic Anhydride
ii. Isoquinoline with n-butyl lithium.
iii. Pyrrole with nickel catalyst in the presence of H2.
iv. Quinoline with alkaline KMnO4 [8+8]
8. Explain the following terms :
(d) Batho chromic shift
(e) Hypo chromic shift