JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Regular Examinations, November 2008
1. Write short notes on:
(a) Unit operation
(b) Dimensionless equation
(c) Dimensional equation.
2. Water is pumped at the rate of 200 lit/s through a 30 cm pipe upto a hill top. If the pump maintains a pressure of 150 kN/m2 at the hill top at an elevation of 45 m, What is the pressure at the foot hills at zero elevation. Neglecting losses, What is the power required to pump the water?
3. Under conditions of laminar flow , the friction factor is given by 16/ NRe .Derive an expression for the pressure drop per unit length in terms of the pipe diameter, ‘d’, the average velocity ‘u’, the density and the viscosity of the fluid.
4. (a) Derive the equation of continuity of compressible fluids. State the assumptions clearly.
(b) Methane gas is being pumped through a 305m length of 52.5mm diameter steel pipe at a rate of 41.0kg/m2-s.The inlet and outlet pressure is 345kPa abs and 298kPa. Assume isothermal flow at 288.8K.Calculate the maximum velocity that can be obtained at these conditions.
5. (a) Write Erguns equation and comment on its applicability.
(b) Differentiate free and hindered settling.
6. Distinguish particulate and aggregative fluidization.
7. Explain the working of a centrifugal pump with neat sketch.
8. A lube oil(specific gravity 0.8) is flowing through a 15 cm steel pipe at 1500 LPM.
A 10 cm orifice attached to a mercury manometer is placed in the pipe line and the orifice coefficient may be taken as 0.62. If the manometer leg is inclined at an angle of 300 to the horizontal, what would be the manometer reading along the sloping leg?