JNTU III B.Tech II Semester Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
ADVANCED UNIX PROGRAMMING
1. (a) Explain the two methods of altering file access permissions of a file.
(b) What are the main functions of kernel? Explain each of them in detail.
2. Explain the following commands with syntax
3. (a) Briefly explain the file directories.
(b) Write in detail about Device drivers.
4. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Process termination
(b) Zombie process.
5. (a) What are the phases in signaling process? Explain what is meant by the lifetime of a signal.
(b) Explain about the five possible signal default actions.
6. (a) Explain in detail about the requirement of file locking mechanism.
(b) Explain in detail about fcntl( ) function.
7. (a) Explain in detail about file locking with semaphores.
(b) Explain about simple semaphore operation.
8. What is shared memory? What is the importance of it? Explain in detail about the process of “Allocating a shared memory segment”.