JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations
NON FERROUS EXTRACTIVE METALLURGY, Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Explain the main differences between hydrometallurgy and electrometallurgy in extraction of copper.
(b) Critically discuss the methods used for the concentration of leach liquor.[8+8]
2. (a) With the help of a flow sheet explain the hydrometallurgical extraction of Zinc.
(b) Explain why sulphide ores are subjected to roasting. [11+5]
3. (a) Explain the various chemical reactions in the lead blast furnace, involved iron scarp, which is added as charge material.
(b) What is lead base bullion? What are the various other elements present in it. Give their relative percentage.
(c) Explain the drossing operation during the treatment of lead base bullion. [5+5+6]
4. (a) What are the major drawbacks of Hall-Heroult cell? Explain.
(b) Give a flow sheet of Bayer’s process and explain the details in the flow sheet. [5+11]
5. (a) Describe the dehydration of bischofite.
(b) Explain the chlorination of MgO with a suitable sketch. [8+8]
6. (a) Discuss the iodide refining of Ti.
(b) Explain the production of Ti Cl4 from rutile concentrates. [8+8]
7. Explain the role of ion exchange and solvent extraction in the uranium extraction in detail. 
8. (a) Where are the copper smelters located in India? Discuss the present status of Indian copper industry and its poised growth.
(b) Where are the Pb, Zn ores ores available in India. What is the present status and envisaged growth of Indian Pb- Zn industry. [8+8]