JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. What is a Laser? Why and how it is used in ESPI inspection technique?
2. (a) What are penetrants? How these are used for flaw detection?
(b) Explain the principle of penetrant flaw detection.
3. (a) What is scattered radiation? Explain about projective magnification method?
(b) Explain about stereoscopic method used to determine distance of the flaw from the surface.
4. What are calibration blocks and explain in detail the uses of calibration blocks?
5. (a) what are the merits and demerits of magnetic particle flaw detection?
(b) Why demagnetization is done after magnetic testing?
6. (a) How do the resistances and resistivity of a specimen depend upon its dimensions?
(b) Explain the d.c. Potential ? drop and a.c. potential drop methods. What are their relative advantages?
7. (a) Discuss about the origin of magnetic domains.
(b) Explain in detail the domain theory of ferromagnetism.
8. (a) What is the need of thermal inspection in NDT?
(b) What is the principle of thermal inspection?
(c) Briefly explain some of the material heat transfer characteristics.