JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
LIGHT METALS AND ALLOYS
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. What is synthetic cryolite? How it has been produced? Explain with neat flow sheet.
2. (a) Mention the important sources of Beryllium.
(b) Discuss the extraction of Beryllium by sulphate process.
3. (a) What type of alloys are included under the general heading, light alloys?
(b) What alloying elements are commonly used and what is the effect of alloying elements in the commercial aluminum alloys?
4. (a) Explain the Al-Si-Mg alloys with phase diagram.
(b) How Magnesium silicide improves the mechanical properties of Aluminum alloys?
5. Discuss the various joining methods used for Magnesium and its alloys.
6. (a) Explain the melting and pouring process of Titanium castings.
(b) What are the molding methods used for casting of Titanium alloys?
7. (a) Explain the heat treatment of Titanium (?+?) alloys.
(b) What is the effect of Aluminum in Titanium alloys? Explain.
8. Discuss the heat treatment Al-Mg-Si alloys and Al-Zn alloys.