JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. Write short notes on the following
(a) Compton effect
(b) Mass number and atomic Number.
(c) Structure of Nucleus.
2. (a) Discuss the effect of multiplication factor K, on the chain rate if the K values are less than 1; equal to 1and greater than one.
(b) How are fast neutrons moderated to produce thermal neutrons? Explain.
3. (a) With the help of a neat sketch explain the working of a boiling water reactor.
(b) Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the above reactor over liquid metal fast breeder reactor.
4. (a) What are the prerequisites for the selection of fuels in a nuclear reactor?
(b) Discuss the various fuels used in a nuclear reactor.
5. (a) What are the primary minerals of uranium. Give their chemical formulae.
(b) Explain the occurance of minerals of uranium and write their general characteristics.
6. What is a mineral? How it differences form a ore? What are the important nuclear minerals. Explain the characteristic properties of nuclear minerals.
7. With the help of a flow sheet and necessary chemical reactions, Explain the production of nuclear grade zirconium.
8. (a) ‘A continuing shortage of fossil fuel would be found to impinge upon the price
of uranium’ and thus affecting economics of thermal nuclear power stations’ –
Explain in detail.
(b) Discuss the convertion 238U in to fissile plutonium.