JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) Calculate in Mev the energy equivalent to one gram atomic weight of electrons
at rest. (Mass of 1 electron: 9.1×10?28 gm).
(b) Rn222 has a half life period of 3.83 days. What fraction of the sample will remain undecomposed at the end of 10 days?
2. (a) Explain the biological effects of radiation and the damage caused due to radiation.
(b) Write a short notes on ‘Radiation protection standards’.
3. (a) With the help of a neat sketch explain the working of a boiling water reactor.
(b) Explain the advantages and disadvantages of the above reactor over liquid metal fast breeder reactor.
4. (a) Why is it necessary to provide shielding for reactors? Explain.
(b) What materials are commonly used for this purpose? Why?
5. (a) What are the primary minerals of uranium. Give their chemical formulae.
(b) Explain the occurance of minerals of uranium and write their general characteristics.
6. (a) What is meant by enrichment of uranium? Explain.
(b) Explain the following methods of uranium enrichment.
i. gas centrifuge process
ii. electromagnetic enrichment process.
7. Discuss the properties that make Beryllium particularly interesting engineering
material as nuclear material.
8. (a) What is linear doubling time? Explain it in detail.
(b) What are the various factors that effect the linear doubling time in plutonium production.