JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. (a) Uranium of mass no 235 undergoes natural radioactive disintegration with an emission of an ? particle.
i. What are the mass & atomic number of the product?
ii. What is the element formed.
(b) Explain how nuclear reactions are different from ordinary chemical reactions.
2. (a) Explain the biological effects of radiation and the damage caused due to radiation.
(b) Write a short notes on ‘Radiation protection standards’.
3. How are nuclear reactors classified on the basis of coolant? Explain them.
4. (a) Explain about the following control rod materials.
i. Boron carbide
(b) Explain with examples the use of reflectors in nuclear reactors.
5. (a) What is carnotite? Give the chemical formula of it. give the metallic elements
present in the mineral.
(b) Explain the important physical and metallurgical characteristic properties of plutonium.
6. What are the various methods available for the enrichment of uranium. Explain any one method in detail.
7. What are the chief sources of Beryllium. What are the various methods used for the extraction of Beryllium. Explain any one of them in detail.
8. (a) What are the important properties of plutonium.
(b) Explain the recycling scheme for plutonium in a thermal reactor.