JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
1. (a) What are the advantages and disadvantages of storing programs and data in the same memory.
(b) Give the decimal equivalent of
2. (a) Explain the different system control instructions of PENTIUM processor.
(b) How high level language is taken care in PENTIUM instruction set? Explain.
3. (a) Assume that a stack is implemented, so that it is possible to push o e element
onto the stack or an element can be popped. Write the sequence of microoperations required for
i. popping and
ii. pushing the stack.
(b) When an indirect cycle occurs? What are the micro-operations required to carry out this cycle? Explain.
4. What are the major design consideration in micro instruction sequencing How they are different
5. (a) Compare and contrast magnetic tape with magnetic disk.
(b) Explain the reading mechanism used in a CD-ROM.
6. (a) What are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping page tables in the main memory?
(b) What are the disadvantages of paging technique?
(c) Briefly explain about multilevel page tables.
7. (a) Differentiate between various memory mapped I/O.
(b) Differentiate between strobe control and hand shaking.
(c) Differentiate between synchronous and asynchronous Data Transfer.
8. (a) A DMA controller transfers 16-bit words to memory using cycle stealing. The words are assembled from a device that transmits characters at a rate of 2400 characters per second. The CPU is fetching and executing instructions at an average rate of one million instructions per second. By how much will the CPU be slowed down because of the DMA transfer?
(b) What are Bus arbitration schemes? Explain.