JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
PRODUCT DESIGN AND ASSEMBLY AUTOMATION
1. (a) Draw the schematic diagram of a orienting system analysis and explain each term.
(b) Sketch and explain orientation of narrow track system.
2. (a) What are the social effects of automation?
(b) Discuss the advantages of automatic assembly.
3. (a) Explain the use of carriers in an industry.
(b) With neat diagram explain the mechanism of rotary indexing machine.
4. (a) Define the following terms:
i. Cost of feeding.
ii. Feeding equipment rate.
iii. Orienting efficiency.
(b) Calculate the feed equipment rate, if vibratory bowl-feeder cost is Rs. 50,000 after installation and debugging, that the payback period is 30 months with 2 shifts working and factory equipment overhead rate is 95% . If feed rate is 50 part/min, also calculate cost of feeding.
5. List out the simple rules to be considered in designing of produce and parts in automatic assembly.
6. Discuss briefly the effect of part thickness and part size on handling time.
7. (a) What are the two commonly used assembly operations in manual assembly.
(b) Discuss the effect of chamfer clearance on insertion time for part.
8. Briefly discuss the effect of parts quality on downtime.