JNTU IV B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, February 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
1. Briefly write on the following:
(a) Sponge iron powder production by reduction of iron ore
(b) Electrolytic copper powder production
(c) Nickel carbonyl powder production
2. (a) Discuss the principles upon which the various grinding mills operate for making metal powders.
(b) Mention the advantages of the milling method and the special fields of its application.
3. Discuss the electrolytic method of Copper production indicating its advantages, limitations and the principle on which the method is based, the main variables affecting the properties of the powder and technology of the process.
4. Explain any three of the following powder compaction methods:
(a) Isostatic compaction
(b) Extrusion of powders
(c) Slip casting
(d) Vibratory compaction.
5. (a) Compare and contrast hot compacting with cold die compaction.
(b) Explain the process, the limitations and the fields of application of hot compacting.
(c) Do you expect any variation in the compact strength and other properties in compacts obtained by these two techniques? Give reasons.
6. (a) Describe the method of production of porous oil impregnated bearings.
(b) Explain the role played by graphite and poly tetra.flouoro ethane in the production of dry lubricated bearings.
7. Describe production of any THREE of the following by Powder Metallurgy:
(b) Carbide tools
(c) Magnetic materials
(d) self lubricating bearings.
8. (a) Explain the Cu ? Al2O3 Sysyem.
(b) Explain the applications of the Cu ? Al2O3 system.