JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
1. Show and explain with neat sketch speed spectrum of AP, GP LP and HP and explain which one is suitable for speed gearbox and feed gearbox? Justify.
2. (a) Why turning is required on surfaces? How it is produced on a lathe?
(b) What is spinning? Sketch and describe the spinning process on lathe.
3. (a) Can a three dimensional contour be produced on a planer? Justify.
(b) Describe the operation of cutting T slots on a shaper.
(c) Differentiate between forming and generating metal surface.
4. (a) Explain briefly different types of drilling machines and their features.
(b) How is the size of drilling machine specified? Discuss.
5. (a) Compare up-cut and down-cut milling process with particular reference to chip formation and forces induced in component and cutter.
(b) How is milling machine specified?
6. (a) What is the difference between ‘rough’ grinding and ‘precision’ grinding?
(b) Why is grinding so important in modern production?
7. (a) Is honing a material removing process? What inaccuracies does the honing
(b) How is a broaching tool specified?
(c) List the applications of broaching.
8. (a) For what purposes are indexing jigs and fixtures used?
(b) List the machine tool operations that require the use of indexing fixtures.