JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
FOUNDRY AND WELDING
1. Explain with neat sketches different types of patterns.
2. Explain the following casting defects
(a) Sand fusion
(b) Slag inclusions
(c) Blow holes
(d) Cold shuts.
3. (a) Explain various types of risers with their advantages and limitations.
(b) Explain with neat sketches different types of ingates.
4. (a) Explain the factors to be considered in selection of weld joint.
(b) Explain various welding positions.
(c) Explain various types of welds with neat sketches.
5. (a) Define the term adhesive bonding.
(b) Explain the concept of adhesive bond with neat sketches.
(c) Explain the following with reference to adhesive bonding.
i. Curing the bonded components.
ii. Testing Adhesive bonded Joints.
6. (a) Explain the reasons for estimating welding costs.
(b) Discuss the factors involved in welding costs.
7. (a) Discuss briefly the various methods used for manufacture of thermo plastics.
(b) What is meant by degree of polymerization?
(c) What are important properties of polymers?
8. (a) Among the Various methods used for the manufacture of metal powders which method do you think to be superior ? Why?
(b) Write a detailed account on liquid phase sintering.