JNTU III B.Tech Supplimentary Examinations, Aug/Sep 2008
ADVANCED COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE
( Common to Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology
and Computer Science & Systems Engineering)
1. (a) Explain Flynn’s computer classification in detail with suitable block diagrams.
(b) Differentiate between WORD-Slice processing and bit-slice processing.
(c) A Computer system can be characterized by T(C) =< K × K?,D × D?,W ×W? > What are these six entities ?
2. (a) Differentiate between linear and nonlinear piplines. Give their sample pipeline structures and reservation tables.
(b) Explain internal forwarding techniques with examples. What are its advantages?
3. Explain Cube Interconnection Network with 8 nodes and give its routing functions.
4. (a) Compare the two types of Associative Processor organizations.
(b) Differentiate between Bit-slice and Word-slice operations in STARAN.
5. (a) Explain the crossbar switch organization for a multiprocessor system. Also give the structure of a cross bar network.
(b) Briefly describe the following terms associated with a multiprocessor system
i. Context switching.
ii. Semaphore for synchronization.
6. (a) List the major characteristics, advantages and shortcomings of three types of
multiprocessor operating systems.
(b) List the four main sources of performance degradation of the dynamic coherence check algorithm.
7. (a) Differentiate between dependence driven and multi level event driven approach of designing data flow systems.
(b) Explain the functional design of a processor element in the EDDY system.
8. (a) Describe the criteria for evaluation of computer systems. Give their importance.
(b) Describe a Stochastic model of a computer system that can used for evaluation.