JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, November 2008
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION
1. What are the various tests for stones and explain them in detail.
2. (a) Describe the process of burning bricks in intermittent kilns.
(b) Give the detailed and neat sketch of the Hoffman’s kiln.
3. (a) How the compressive strength of cement is determined in laboratory ?
(b) How the tensile strength of cement is determined in laboratory?
4. (a) Differentiate between exogenous trees and endogenous trees.
(b) Describe the properties of mild steel.
5. (a) Explain in detail the procedure for proportioning rectangular combined footings for two columns carrying unequal loads.
(b) How are new foundations constructed near old existing adjacent structures.
6. (a) Discuss the merits and demerits of brick masonry over stone masonry.
(b) What are the common defects observed in stone masonry.
7. (a) Define a lintel and mention the materials which are commonly used to construct it.
(b) Describe briefly the construction of R.CC lintel.
8. (a) What are the requirements of good plaster?
(b) Discuss the mortars which are used for painting and plastering.