JNTU II B.Tech I Semester Supplimentary Examinations, November 2008
DATA BASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
( Common to Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology
and Computer Science & Systems Engineering) SET-3
1. (a) Explain the Transaction management in a database.
(b) Discuss the Query Processor of Database system structure.
2. (a) What is a relational database query? Explain with an example.
(b) What are the SQL constructs to modify the structure of tables, views and to destroy the tables and views?
3. What is Normalization? Discuss what are the types? Discuss the 1NF, 2NF, 3NF with example.
4. (a) Define BCNF. How does BCNF differ from 3NF? Explain with an example.
(b) Explain 3nf? Give one example?
5. (a) Define the concept of schedule for a set of concurrent transaction. Give a suitable example.
(b) Explain read-only, write-only & read-before-write protocols in serialazability.
6. (a) Explain optimistic concurrency control under timestamp
(b) Discuss about deadlock detection & starvation.
7. (a) Explain about Fixed-Length Representation in detail.
(b) Explain about Byte-String Representation. in detail.
8. (a) When is it preferable to use a dense index rather than a sparse index? Explain your answer.
(b) Since indices speed query processing, why might they not be kept on several search keys? List as many reasons as possible.