JNTU Exam Papers – I B-Tech Regular Examinations– Engineering Chemistry–May/Jun 2008
JNTU Exam Papers
1. (a) Estimation of free chlorine in water samples.
(b) Discuss the impurities in water and their effects.
2. (a) Describe the demineralisation of water by ion – exchange method.
(b) Mention the disadvantages of using hard water for any two industries.
3. (a) What is meant by differential aeration corrosion? Illustrate with suitable examples.
(b) How is rate of corrosion influenced by
i. Nature of corrosion product
ii. Relative anodic to cathodic areas
iii. Temperature and moisture.
4. (a) Discuss how the surface of a metal is prepared prior to the application of a protective coating.
(b) Write the important applications of protective coating.
(c) Why is moderate current density employed during electroplating?
5. (a) Explain the preparation, properties and uses of Bakelite.
(b) Describe with a neat sketch, the process of compression moulding.
6. (a) What is pyrometric cone equivalent? How it is determined for a refractory? What is its significance?
(b) Write a short note on:
ii. Thermal Conductivity
iii. Dimensional Stability.
7. (a) Give the functions of lubricants.
(b) Describe the mechanism of extreme pressure lubrication.
(c) How a viscous lubricant is converted into grease?
8. (a) Explain how fuels are classified with suitable examples.
(b) Explain the significance of the following constituents present in coal.
ii. Volatile matter
iii. Ash and
iv. Fixed carbon.