JNTU Exam Papers I B.Tech Regular Exam Chemical Engg May/Jun 2008
1. Discuss briefly:
2. Define material balance and enumerate the different steps to follow in material balance calculations.
3. (a) What is fluid? Describe the nature of a fluid.
(b) Distinguish between laminar and turbulent flow. Draw the velocity profiles in pipes for various types of flows.
4. (a) Explain the mechanism of heat transfer by thermal radiation.
(b) What is a perfectly black body and describe Fery’s black body?
(c) State the following and explain:
i. Stefan’s-Boltzmann law
ii. Plank’s law.
5. (a) Obtain the expressions for height of absorption column in terms of overall gas phase mass transfer coefficient.
(b) What is necessary condition for absorption to take place? Define active component.
(c) Define Fick’s law of diffusion.
6. (a) What is reflux and reflux ratio
(b) Write short notes on applications of distillation
(c) Write short notes on azeotropes
(d) Name minimum four types of packing materials.
7. Write short notes on:
(a) Mixer settler
(b) Pulse column
(c) Triangular diagram
(d) Bubble cap.
8. (a) Explain in detail about adsorption.
(b) Differentiate between reactivation and regeneration.
(c) Write short notes on Vander Waals adsorption.