JNTU Exam Papers
Applied Chemistry and Bio-Chemistry Ist Sem Nov 2008
1. (a) Define electrolyte and non-electrolyte with suitable examples.
(b) Define strong and weak electrolytes
(c) Explain Arrhenius ionic theory along with postulates. [5+5+6]
2. (a) Explain the difference between addition and condensation polymerization with
(b) What is polyethylene? How is it made? Mention the different grades of polythene and their uses. [8+8]
3. Distinguish between:
(a) Flash point and cloud point.
(b) Petroleum and synthetic lubricants.
(c) Fluid film and boundary lubrication. [5+6+5]
4. Write short notes on:
(a) Caustic embrittlement
(b) Break point chlorination
(c) Boiler corrosion
(d) Phosphate conditioning. [4+4+4+4]
5. (a) What are prokaryotes? Give examples.
(b) Explain chemical composition of cell walls of prokaryotes.
(c) Explain how the membrane lipids play important role in membrane physical
phase transition under different temperatures. 
6. (a) Define active site, inhibitory site and activating site with a typical enzymic
(b) Explain irreversible inhibition of an enzyme with a suitable example. 
7. Explain in brief how carbohydrate , protein and lipid metabolism(s) are linked to
yield energy. 
8. (a) Name the important serum proteins.
(b) Mention difference between serum and plasma.
(c) Explain the biological role of serum and plasma components.