JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, NON FERROUS EXTRACTIVE METALLURGY, Apr/May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) What is leaching? Explain the different processes involved in leaching of gydrometallurgy process.
(b) Discuss the chemistry of copper smelting. Explain any of the flash smelting techniques with the help of a sketch. Give its advantages and limitations of over other processes. [6+10]
2. (a) Describe in detail how Zinc may be recovered from lead slags.
(b) Give the names of the six different production processes that are in operation for the extraction of Zinc from it ores and briefly explain the working principle for any two processes. [6+10]
3. What are various developements in lead smelting process. Explain them in detail. 
4. (a) Waht are the important ores of aluminium? Give their chemical formulae.
Give the names of places where aluminium ore deposites are located.
(b) Among the many ores, which aluminium ore is mainly used for extraction? Why?
(c) Give the composition of cryolite bath? Give the ratio of alumina , cryolite and Fluorspar in the cryolite bath. Explain the importance of cryolite bath in the electrolytic reduction of alumina. [6+4+6]
5. Compute the minimum theoretical voltage for electrolytically reducing magnesium
in the cell described below: 
Cell : Steel cell construction
Natural gas fired at 7000C
Cathode – steel shell
Anode – carbon rods
Electrolyte: 25% Mg
NaCl 15% CaCl2
Product: Liquid Mg floating bath. Gaseous Cl2 evolved at Anode.
6. (a) Why titanium cannot be produced by the direct reduction of rutile concentrate by carbon?
(b) Discuss the refining of Titanium. [6+10]
7. (a) Write down a flow sheet for the production of yellow cake from uranium concentrates.
(b) Explain the production of uranium metal from yellow cake with proper reactions. [8+8]
8. (a) Discuss the location of bauxite reserves in India.
(b) Write a brief account on the present production status of Al in India and its expected growth. [8+8]