JNTU Exam Paper Steel Making Apr-May 2008
(Metallurgy & Material Technology)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) The composition of pig iron dictates the type of steel making. Explain why?
(b) Explain the following with reference to efficiency of steel making process.
i. Yield of the process
ii. Production rate of the shop. [5+11]
2. Discuss in detail desulphurization and dephosphurization of steel in detail giving the relevant chemical reactions. 
3. Discuss the construction and operatiional features for the following
(a) Twin hearth furnace
(b) Tilting open hearth furnace. [8+8]
4. (a) How oxygen nozzles are designed for top blown basic oxygen process? State the advantages of multi hole nozzle over single hole nozzle.
(b) Explain the similarities and dissimilarities in Kaldo and Rotor process of steel making. [8+8]
5. (a) What are the types of electric heating ?
(b) What are the advantages and disadvantages of using electric energy as a source of heat ?
(c) Classify the Electric Arc Furnace processes. [4+6+6]
6. (a) Describe bottom teeming.
(b) What are the advantages and limitations of bottom teeming? [8+8]
7. (a) Define killed steel, semi-killed steel and rimmed steel.
(b) What are the uses of killed steel ?
(c) Explain the mechanism of solidification of killed steel with a diagram. [4+4+8]
8. (a) What are the advantages of producing blooms, slabs etc by primary mills ?
(b) What are the advantages of continuous casting of steel ?
(c) What is the principle of continuous casting of steel ? What are the equipment used for continuous casting of steel ? [4+4+8]