MECHANICAL AND ELECTRICAL SCIENCE, November 2008
1. (a) Discuss the various applications of an I.C. Engine.
(b) What is FP? Define mechanical efficiency and explain its importance.
2. What factors are considered in selecting a refrigerant in following systems and
mention the name of the refrigerant used in each system.
(a) House hold refrigerator
(b) Ice-producing plant
(c) Air-conditioning plant for a cinema theatre.
3. (a) Explain the advantages of the following equipment used in welding process:
i. Head shield
ii. Chrome ? leather spats
iii. Scratch brush
iv. Chrome ? leather apron
(b) Describe the working principle and operation of gas welding process.
4. (a) What are the important parts of a planer? Explain the importance of each part.
(b) Discuss the following milling operations:
i. Slab milling
ii. Face milling
iii. Thread milling
iv. Gang milling
5. (a) Write Short notes in the context of Power shovels,
i. Class of material & Shovel output
ii. Depth of cut & Shovel output
(b) What are the merits of Roller Conveyors?
1. Explain the construction of a DC machine with a neat sketch.
2. What are the various Industrial applications of d.c Motors. Why D.C series motor
is most suited for traction purposes.
3. Draw the general schematic of a single phase transformer and explain its working
4. (a) Explain the working principle of a three phase induction motor.
(b) Explain applications of junction motor.
5. (a) Explain the advantages and disadvantages of Moving Iron instruments.
(b) Explain the working of moving iron attraction type instruments