JNTU Question Papers Physical Metallurgy 1st Sem Nov 2008
JNTU Question Papers
Physical Metallurgy 1st Sem Nov 2008
1. (a) Give an account on resolution and depth of field.
(b) Name the characteristics that can be measured using polarized light and discuss. [8+8]
2. (a) Define octahedral and tetrahedral sites and discuss with reference to BCC and
(b) Give an account on bonding and material property. [8+8]
3. (a) Give an account on Miller indices of planes with examples.
(b) Explain Miller indices of direction with examples. [8+8]
4. (a) Find out electron-to-atom ratio for the following compositions.
Ag3Al, Cu5Zn8, Cu9Al4, CuZn3 and Cu3Sn
(b) Discuss various types of solid solutions. [8+8]
5. (a) Explain why is the grain boundary irregular.
(b) Distinguish clearly between low angle, grain boundary and high angle grain
6. (a) Draw a typical Equilibrium diagram for 2 metals completely soluble both in
liquid & solid states. Label the important points, lines and areas in it.
(b) Explain cooling of any one alloy from the above system. [9+7]
7. (a) Classify copper alloys. Discuss the mechanism of increasing strength of copper
(b) Calculate the relative amounts of various phases that are present in 0.5% C
steel, just above & just below the peritectic temperature. [8+8]
8. (a) Differentiate between CCC & TTT diagrams.
(b) Explain about the bainitic transformation. [10+6]