JNTU B.Tech II Semester INSTRUMENTATION Examinations, Apr/May 2008
(Electrical & Electronic Engineering)
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Define ‘drift’, ‘threshold value’ and ‘dead-band’ of a measuring system and
give an example for each.
(b) Distinguish between ‘range’ and ‘span’ of an instrument. [8+8]
2. (a) Explain the spectra of a periodic rectangular pulse train for the following.
(ii) Phase spectra when time origin coincides with centre of pulse.
iii) Phase spectra with pulse starting at t=0.
(b) Define line spectra. [8+8]
3. Define deflection sensitivity and deflection factor of a cathode ray tube. 
4. On what basis digital voltmeters are classified and explain any two non-integrating
type digital voltmeters. 
5. (a) Mention a few applications of heterodyne wave analyzers.
(b) Explain the principle and operation of basic spectrum analyzer with a neat block diagram. [4+12]
6. Explain the operation of Control type synchro system. 
7. (a) Explain the operation of DC Tachometer generators. What are it’s advantages
(b) Explain Strobotran with a neat sketch. [8+8]
8. Write a short notes on the following:
(a) Electromagnetic flow meter
(b) Inductive method of liquid level measurement
(c) thermocouples. [6+5+5]