JNTU Question Papers Mechanical Working Of Metals II Sem Apr/May 2008
JNTU Question Papers
Mechanical Working Of Metals II Sem Apr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) The stress components at a point are.
?x=-60, ?y=ho, ?x=30 ?xy =-80, ?yz=60, ?xz=75 Mpa.
Determine the principal stresses and principal directions.
(b) Write short notes on the following:
i. Hydrostatic stress
ii. Stress deviator. [10+6]
2. Define and explain the following terms:
(a) Yield strength
(b) Tensile strength
(c) True strain
(d) Engineering stress
(e) Poisson’s ratio. 
3. (a) Compare and contrast recrystallization and grain growth.
(b) Explain how cold working of metals affect its strength, ductility, surface finish, strain hardening behavior. [7+9]
4. (a) What is sledge hammer? With the help of a neat sketch, explain its working and give its application.
(b) With the help of relevant sketches, explain the production of steel by forging process. [8+8]
5. (a) Sketch the mill stand arrangement in a universal mill and explain its operation.
(b) What is the relation between the arc of contact and roll pressure? Explain. [8+8]
6. (a) Explain the analysis of rolling load and rolling variables.
(b) What are the problems and defects in rolled products? [8+8]
7. (a) What is extrusion? How is it different from drawing?
(b) What are the different types of extrusion processes? Differentiate between them. [6+10]
8. (a) Explain the effect of different factors on residual stresses developed in wire
and rod drawing operation.
(b) Explain the effect of die angle on the components of the total energy of deformation in wire drawing. [8+8]