JNTU B.Tech II Semester Examinations, COMPUTER ORGANIZATION, pr/May 2008
Time: 3 hours Max Marks: 80
Answer any FIVE Questions
All Questions carry equal marks
1. (a) Explain the terms computer architecture, computer organization and computer design in a detailed fashion. 
(b) Explain about MIPS, FLOPS rating of a processor. How do we arrive at these values. 
2. (a) Design a circuit transferring data from a 4bit register which uses D flip-flops to another register which employs RS flip-flops. 
(b) What are register transfer logic languages? Explain few RTL statement for branching with their actual functioning. 
3. (a) Explain nanoinstructions and nanometry. Why do we need them? 
(b) Describe advantages and disadvantages of horizontal and vertical microcoded systems. 
4. (a) How many bits are needed to store the result addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of two n-bit unsigned numbers. Prove. 
(b) What is overflow and underflow? What is the reason? If the computer is considered as infinite system do we still have these problems. 
5. (a) Compare and contrast FIFO and LRU Cache Replacement Algorithms.
(b) Compare and contrast direct and associative mapping Techniques. [8+8]
6. What are the different kinds of I/O Communication techniques? What are the relative advantages and disadvantages? Compare and contrast all techniques. 
7. (a) Explain SIMD and MIMD processors in detail.
(b) Explain array processors. [8+8]
8. (a) Explain the working of 8 x 8 Omega Switching network.
(b) Explain the functioning of Binary Tree network with 2 x 2 Switches. Show a neat sketch. [8+8]