JNTU, B.Tech I Semester,
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION,November 2008
1. (a) How is artificial stone prepared? What are its different forms.
(b) Mention the advantages of artificial stones.
2. (a) Write comparison of brickwork and stone work.
(b) Explain the constituents of good brick earth.
3. How lime is classified. Explain the properties of various types of limes?
4. What is seasoning of timber? Explain various methods?
5. (a) Derive an expression for the depth of concrete block required for a strip footing of a wall.
(b) Explain how do you design the stepped pad footing for a masonry square column.
6. (a) What are the merits and demerits of English bond over Flemish bond?
(b) State the reasons for cracks in brick masonry.
7. (a) State briefly the requirements of a good staircase.
(b) How are treads & risers proportioned.
(c) Where do you use the following types of stairs
i. Dog-legged stair.
ii. Open newel stair.
iii. Geometrical stair.
8. What is the object of painting or varnishing a surface and where will you prefer a
paint to varnish and vice versa?