JNTU, B.Tech I Semester,
BUILDING MATERIALS AND CONSTRUCTION,November 2008
1. What are the various tests for stones and explain them in detail.
2. (a) Discuss the varieties of terra-cotta?
(b) Write the advantages, disadvantages and uses of terra-cotta.
3. Differentiate between
(a) White cement and ordinary cement.
(b) Acid resistant cement and hydrofobic cement.
(c) Quick setting cement and Rapid hardening cement.
(d) Ordinary portand cement and pozzolana cement.
4. (a) Explain the process of natural seasoning.
(b) Describe the advantages and disadvantages of natural seasoning.
5. Briefly explain the term “the Foundation”. Enumerate the various types of building
foundations. Explain any one of them with the aid of a neat sketch.
6. (a) Explain with neat sketches (Plan) of an English bond for 2-brick and 21/2 brick thick walls.
(b) What are frogs? Why are they used? Explain with sketches
7. (a) Discuss the idea of providing arches to support large openings in masonry?
Bring out the merits and demerits of the idea?
(b) Differentiate between Belfast truss and Mansard Truss.
8. what is the difference between the terms colour washing and white washing? Describe in detail the complete operation of white washing of plastered wall surface