GTU Textile Design and Color Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 132801
Subject Name Textile Design & Colour
Sr.No Course contents
1. Elements Of Colour :- Light and colour phenomenon. Physical basis of
colour emissions, absorption of light. Primary, Secondary and Tertiary
Colours. Complementary colours, Hues, Tints and Shades. Colours in
combination and colours in contrast. Application of colour to woven fabrics.
Influence of fabric characteristics (weave) on appearance of
colour.Chromatic circle, colour vision – Pigment theory of colour, colour
2. Colour Harmony and Colour Modification :- Achromatic Harmony,
Monochromatic Harmony, Analogous Harmony, High Key, Low Key, Mid
Key Harmony, Change in Hue, Change in Value, neutralised colour.
3. Elements and Principles of Design :- Natural Motif, Decorative Motif,
Geometric Motif, Abstract Motif, line, direction, shape, size, texture, value,
colour, repetition, alternation, harmony, gradation, contrast, dominance
and subordination, unity balance. Origin and basis of patterns from historic
and modern fabrics. Survey of designing methods, studio and workshop
techniques. Free hand sketching, enlarging and arrangement of motifs. All
over repeating design, half drop, diamond, ogee, weaved line, rectangular
drop reverse, sateens, etc.
4. Effect of raw material, weave and finish on the appearance and
ornamentation of fabrics.
1. Textile Design & Colour – Grosicki
2. Instrumental Colour Measurements and Computer Aided Colour Matching for
Textiles – S.Shah, R.S.Gandhi
3. 3.Textile Colour Mixing – Paterson D.