GTU Surveying Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 130601
Subject Name Surveying
Sr.No Course contents
1 Plane Table Survey:
Introduction, principle, instruments, setting up the plane table, methods of
plane tabling, advantages, sources of Errors.
2 Theodolite Traversing:
Introduction, definitions, the vernier transit theodolite, temporary and
permanent adjustment of theodolite, measuring horizontal and vertical
angles, methods of traversing, closing error, computation of latitudes and
departure, check in closed and open traverse, balancing of traverse, Gale’s
table, traverse area, omitted measurements.
3 Trigonometric levelling:
Indirect levelling, levelling on steep ground- methods.
Introduction, theory and setting out methods of simple circular curve,
elements of a compound and reverse curves, transition curve, types of
transition curve, combined curve, types of vertical curves.
5 Computation of Areas:
Methods to compute area of traverse- Determining areas from Plans,
Trapezoidal rule- Simpson’s rule, Use of planimeter
Computation of Volumes- Volume from cross sections, Trapezoidal and
Prismoidal formulae, Prismoidal correction, Curvature correction,
Determination of capacity of reservoir and volume from borrow pits.
Introduction, purposes, control points, soundings, instruments & methods of
7 Setting out Works:
Building, Culvert, Bridge, Tunnel
Term work shall be based on the above mentioned course content.
1) Plane table survey project.
2) Theodolite traverse survey project.
3) Setting out of curve.
1. Surveying Vol.I, II and III by Dr. B.C. Punamia
2. Surveying and Levelling Vol. I and II by T.P Kanetkar and S.V Kulkarni
3. Surveying Vol. I, II and III by Dr. K.R. Arora
4. Surveying Vol. I and II by S. K. Duggal
5. Surveying and Levelling by N.N. Basak
6. Surveying and Levelling by R. Agor
7. Advanced Surveying by R. Agor.
8. Roy, S.K., Fundamentals of Surveying, Prentice Hall India, New Delhi
9. Subramanian, R., Surveying and Leveling, Oxford University Press, New Delhi