GTU Metallurgical Thermodynamics Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 132102
Subject Name Metallurgical Thermodynamics
Sr.No Course content
1. Importance of thermodynamics, Definition of thermodynamic terms,
Concept of system, states and equilibrium, Types of system, Extensive and
intensive properties, Homogeneous and heterogeneous systems, Quasistatic
process, Zeroth law of thermodynamics.
2. First law of thermodynamics, Internal energy, Heat capacity, Specific heat
and latent heat, Enthalpy, Isothermal and adiabatic processes, State
properties, Heat of reaction, Heat of formation, Standard heats, Heat of
transition, Hess’s law, Kirchoff’s law equation.
3. Second law of thermodynamics, Entropy of irreversible processes, Auxiliary
functions, Combined statements of 1st and 2nd laws, Maxwell’s relations,
Clausius-Clapeyron equation, Gibb’s-Helmholtz relations.
4. Third law of thermodynamics, Temperature dependence of entropy,
Stastical interpretation of entropy, Relation between Cp and Cv ,
Consequences of third law, Nernst heat theorem, Equilibrium constant,
Van-Hoff equation, Concept of fugacity, activity and mole fraction.
5. Ellingham diagram in detail for metal oxides, Activity, Gas phase
(H2O- H2 and CO2 -CO mixtures), Reactions involving solid and gases,
Activities in concentrated solution, Activity in industrial liquid metallic
6. Thermodynamics of solutions, Gibb’s-Duhem equation, Partial molar
properties of mixing, Ideal solution, Raoult’s law, Henry’s law, Non-ideal
solution, Excess functions, Concept of 1 wt% standard state and Interaction
coefficient, Regular solutions, Sievert’s law-residual gases in steel.
7. Phase relations and phase rule-its aplications, Free energy-composition
and temperature-composition diagrams for binary alloy systems and their
corelation, determination of liquidus, solidus and solvus lines, Effect of
pressure on phase transformation and phase equilibria.
8. Functions of slags, Slag compositions, Structure of molten slags, Molecular
theory, Concept of basicity index, Thermodynamics of slag-metal reactions.
Term Work: Numerical problems based on the concepts mentioned in above
1) Introduction to Metallurgical Thermodynamics, R. H. Tupkary, T. U. Publishers.
2) Introduction to Materials and Metallurgical Thermodynamics, A. Ghosh, PHI.
3) Physical Chemistry of Metals, L. S. Darken and R. W. Gurry, McGraw Hill.
4) Problems in Metallurgical Thermodynamics and Kinetics, G. S. Upadhyaya and R. K. Dube, Pergamon Press.