GTU Food Engineering Thermodynamics Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Food Processing & Technology
Subject Name FOOD ENGINEERING THERMODYNAMICS
Sr.No Course contents
1. Fundamental Concepts: Definitions related to Thermodynamics,
2. Ideal and Real Gases: Concept of ideal gas, Characteristic equation of
gas. Universal and Characteristic gas constant. Enthalpy and Specific heat.
Deviation of real gas from ideal gas, Compressibility factor and the Van der
Waal’s equation of state for real gas.
3. Laws of Thermodynamics: Zeroth Law, Concept of temperature. Equality of
temperature, Zeroth Law of thermodynamics.
4. First Law of Thermodynamics: First law of thermodynamics. Concept
processes, Flow processes and control Volume, Flow work, Steady flow
energy equation, Mechanical, Mechanical work in a steady flow process,
Throttling process, Application of first law to open systems.
5. Second Law of Thermodynamics : Essence of second law, Thermal
reservoir, Heat engines and thermal efficiency, COP of heat pump and
refrigerator, Definition of available and unavailable energy, Statement of
second law, Carnot cycle, Carnot theorem, Clausius inequality, Concept of
entropy, Entropy change for ideal gases.
6. Thermodynamics Relations: Maxwell’s equations, thermodynamic property
relations for a pure substance, Joule-Kelvin effect, Clausius-Clapeyron
equation, Gibbs phase rule, types of equilibrium, and conditions of stability.
7. Properties of Pure Substance: Steam & Water Tables & Chart
8. Psychometric Chart: Psychometric parameters and their relationships,
Psychometric properties of air. Mixing of air streams, Heating and cooling
processes, Humidification and dehumidification processes
1. Engineering Thermodynamics by P. K. Nag (TMH)
2. Thermodynamics and Heat Engines – Vol I by Yadav, R
(Central Publishing House, Allahabad)
3. Engineering Thermodynamics by Rogers, P H and Mayhew, H
4. Thermodynamics by Holman, J P (TMH)
5. An Introduction to Thermodynamics, Y.V.C. Rao, New Age International (P) Ltd.,