GTU Communication Skills Syllabus
Unit – 1 Communication skills
Process, types and levels of communication.
Technical Communication and General Communication. Factors to be
considered in technical communication.
Unit – 2 Verbal and non-verbal communication (kinesics)
Components of Non-verbal Communication (Kinesics)
Barriers to effective communication. (Noise in oral and written
communication) Communication across cultures.
Unit – 3 Listening skills – Types of Listening Active Listening V/s Passive Listening
Empathetic Listening. Traits of a good listener, barriers in effective listening,
Tips for effective listening.
Unit – 4 Effective presentation strategies. Defining purpose, analysis of audience and
locate, organizing contents. Preparing an outline of the presentation. Visual
aids, nuances of delivery, Body language and effective presentation.
Unit – 5 Interviews
Introduction, General preparations for an interview, Types of questions
generally asked at the interviews. Types of interviews, Importance of nonverbal aspects.
Unit – 6 Group Discussions
Introduction, Group discussions as a part of the selection process, guidelines
for group discussion. Role functions in group discussion.
Unit – 7 Paragraph Development, Introduction, Topic sentence and supporting
sentences. Attributes of a good paragraph. Types of paragraphs.
Unit – 8 Letter – Writing
Business Letters, Structure and types of a business letter, Letter of Inquiry,
Letters of complaint, regret and adjustment.
Unit – 9 Technical reports
Introduction, types of reports, structure of reports, objectives and
characteristics of reports.
Unit – 10 Technical Proposals
Definition, Purpose, Types, Characteristics, Structure, Style and appearance.
Unit – 11 Technical Descriptions Gujarat Technological University B.E Sem I 13
Introduction, Definition of an object or a process. Guidelines for writing good
description – organization, content, structure.
Unit – 12 Effective Reading Skills
Purpose of reading, skimming and scanning. Tips for improving
Unit – 13 Job application
Essential parts – Cover Letter and the ‘resume’. Types of ‘resumes’
(Curriculum Vitae) Chronological ‘resume’, functional ‘resume’.
Unit – 14 Grammar and Vocabulary
Tense and the concept of Time. Passive Voice, Conditionals Prepositions, Concord. Idioms, Confusables, one-word substitutes, homonyms, homophones eponyms.
1. Technical Communication
Principles and Practice
– Meenakshi Raman, Sangeeta Sharma (OUP)
2. Personality Development, Harold Wallace and Ann Masters,
3. Basic Communication Skills for Technology
Andrea J. Rutherford (Pearson Education)
4. Communication Skills for Technical Students
T.M. Farhathullah (Orient Longman)
5. A Textbook of English for Engineers and Technologists.
Prepared by Humanities & Social Sciences Division.
Anna University, Chennai. (Orient Longman)
6. Communication Skills for Engineers
– Sunita Mishra, C, Murali Krishna (Pearson Education)
7. English for Technical Communication
– K.R. Lakshminarayanan
(Scitech Publications, Chennai.)
8. Basics of Management and Communication Skills
– Dr. P.C. Shejwalkar (Everest Publishing House) Gujarat Technological University B.E Sem I 14
9. Business Communication Strategies, – Matthukutty M. Monippally
(Tata – McGraw – Hill)
10. Body Language, – Allan Pease
(Sheldon Press, London)
11. A Communicative Grammar of English
– Geoffrey Leech, Jan Swartvik (ELBS – with Longman)