GTU Basics of Structural Engineering Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: 3
Subject Code 131304
Subject Name BASICS OF STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING
Sr.No Course content
1. Direct and bending stresses :
Short columns subjected to eccentric load, middle third rule, kernel of
section, Retaining walls, Masonary walls, Overview of long column,
2. Deflection of beams :
Moment area method, Techniques to control deflections
3. Moment Distribution Method :
Overview of fixed end moments, Analysis of statically Indeterminate
beams & plane frames.
4. Concrete Technology :
• Ingredient of concrete: Cement, Aggregate, Admixtures, Water.
1. Cement: Hydration mechanisms, Types of cement & their
uses, Overview of physical properties and their tests as per IS
2. Aggregate: Function, Types, Sieve analysis, size, Overview of
physical tests as per IS & ASTM
3. Admixtures: Various types, Advantages and limitations
relevant IS & ASTM
• Mixing & Placing of Concrete, Various techniques of Curing,
• Durability and permeability of Concrete: Definitions, Causes,
Carbonation, Cracking, Creep, shrinkage, Crack width,
• Concrete in Aggressive Environment: Alkali aggregate Reaction,
Sulphate Attack, Chloride attack, Acid attack. Special coating for
them, Water proofing. Concrete for storing hot liquids.
5. Soil Engineering :
• General characteristics of different types of soil, Soil designation.
• Particle size analysis as per BIS grading curves consistency limits
• Geotechnical properties of soil : Permeability, Shearing strength,
Compaction & Consolidation, Characteristics of soil and relevant test
• Bearing capacity of soil mass : Shear failure and Settlement criteria.
• Sub surface investigation : Planning of exploration
programme,Field testing of soil.
• Introduction to geosyenthesis and its application.
Term Work shall consist of atleast 12 problems based on the syllabus of Basics of
Presentation based on Concrete Technology .& soil Engineering
1. Timoshenko & Gere ; Mechanics of Materials
2. S. Ramamrutham ; Strength of Materials
3. S. Ramamrutham ; Theory of structures
4. A.M.Neville ; Properties of Concrete
5. M.S.Shetty ; Concrete Technology
6. K.R.Arora ; Soil Mechanics
7. B.C.Punmia ; Soil Mechanics