GTU Basic Plastic Processing and Thermal Engineering Syllabus
GUJARAT TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
B.E Semester: IV
Subject Code: 142301
Subject Name: Basic Plastic Processing and Thermal Engineering
Sr.No Course contents
What is Plastic Processing – Introduction to various processing methods for
thermoplastics and thermo sets – consideration for selection of particular
method of processing – flow behavior of polymer melts. Principle of processing
2 Compression molding:
Introduction – types of processes : up stroking, down stroking – materials used
and selection criteria – preheating – bulk factor – performance -process steps –
process advantages and disadvantages – process variables – molding machine
details – mold types : flash, semi positive, positive -charging – post curing –
cooling fixtures – finishing – molding defects : causes and remedies.
3 Transfer molding:
Introduction – transfer molding process types – techniques of transfer molding:
pot and plunger types – advantages and disadvantages – process variables –
molding materials – types of molds – pot dimensions and its effects – trouble
shooting – comparison with compression molding.
Introduction-definition-various process steps-types of materials-material
selection criteria in detail with properties like melt stability, plastic memory, etc.
– sheet thickness in detail required by the process- limitations as regards the
types of sheets that can be used, etc., – advantage and disadvantage with the
injection molding process-types of machine, molds and its Material in
brief-various process variables-cold forming process With advantage and
disadvantage-trouble shooting for the process-Rheology, its importance and
applications. Types of thermoforming processes like plug assist, reverse draw
forming, bubble type forming, twin sheet thermoforming, etc. Differences
between pressure and vacuum forming techniques, types of vacuum forming
techniques in detail along with advantages and limitations of each in detail.
Engineering applications of thermoformed articles in detail, along with latest
5 Blow molding
• Introduction – Basic process – Plastic materials for Blow molding
• Extrusion blow molding – Continues extrusion process, Intermittent
extrusion process, Parison programming
• Injection Blow molding – Basic process of IBM, Stretch / orienting blow
• Processing parameters, Troubleshooting of blow molding
• Advantages & Dis-advantages of Bow molding
• Introduction to three modes of heat transfer:- Conduction convection &
radiation. General laws of heat transfer.
• Basic equations of Heat Transfer,
• The Temperature correction factor f and its importance
• The over all heat transfer coefficient
• Brief over view of heat exchanger types
• No phase change, phase change,
• Compact heat transfer technologies –plate heat exchanger, finned tube
heat exchanger etc.
• basics of Shell and tube heat exchangers, types and technologies
1. Thermosetting resins by J.F.Monk.
2. Plastics Processing Data Handbook by Rosato
3. Thermoforming by Throne.
4. Plastic engineering by Crawford.
5. “Process Heat Transfer” : D. Q. Kern, Mcgraw Hill.
6. “Fundamentals of Heat Transfer”: M. Mikheyev, MIR Publications.
7. Unit operations of Chemical Engineering”: W. L. Mccabe and J. C. Smith,
8. “Principles of Unit Operation” : A. S. Foust et al, Wiley International, 1990.
9. Plastics material and processes by Schwartz and Goodman
10. Plastics Engg. Handbook by Joel Frados 5.“Heat transmission” : W. H. Mcadams,
Mcgraw Hill, 3rd edition