GITAM University Structural Analysis II Syllabus
Analysis of statically indeterminate trusses (having not more than 7 members and 3 supports)
containing (a) external redundant supports (b) internal redundant members, using Castigliano’s
theorem – II.
Analysis of statically indeterminate frames(Single strorey single bay portal frames only) using
moment distribution method and kani’s method.
Arches: Introduction to Arches. Analysis of three hinged and two hinged arches subjected to
concentrated loads and uniformly distributed loads (Rolling loads and influence lines not included).
Introduction to Matrix Methods: Analysis of two and three span continuous Beams only by
Flexibility and Stiffness Matrix methods.
Finite element method: Introduction to finite element method, concept of an element (beam
element, truss element), formulation of element stiffness matrix (for beam element and truss
element), assemble of global stiffness matrix (for beam element and truss element).Two
dimensional constant strain triangle. Modeling, boundary conditions, Solution of banded matrix.
1. C.K. Wang, Statically indeterminate Structures
2. Weaver & Gere, Matrix Methods of Structural Analysis
3. J.S. Kinney, Indeterminate Structural Analysis, Naroja Publishing house, 1st Printing, 1987
4. GS Pandit, SP Gupta, R. Gupta, Theory of Structures-Vol. I and II, Tata McGraw-Hill,
2nd Reprint, 2003
5. Vazirani and Ratwani, Analysis of Structures Vol. II.
6. Zienkiewicz.P, P., The Finite Element Method in Engineering and Science” McGraw
7. Tirupathi.R.Chandrupatla, Finite Elements Analysis, Universities Press.