GITAM University Introduction to Earthquake Technology Syllabus
Introduction of Structural Dynamics – Types of prescribed Loads – Analysis of Dynamical
behaviour of Structures – Mathematical and Analytical Models – Degrees of Freedom. Single
degree freedom –– Free body diagram – Solution of Differential equation of Motion – Frequency,
period and Amplitude – Logarithmic decrement – Simple Problems.
Un-damped and Damped Systems, Types of Damping Systems, Vibration measuring instruments,
Free Vibration of SDOF Systems – Response of SDOF System to Harmonic Excitation, Dynamic
Excitation – Raleigh’s method, Stodola method –– Response Spectra.
Mathematical model of MDOF Systems – Vibration of Un-damped two Degrees of Freedom system
– Simple problems – Free vibration of MDOF System – Natural Frequencies & Mode shapes –
mode Superposition method as per IS 1893 Code Provisions.
Introduction of Earth Quake Response of Structures – Response of SDOF and MDOF systems to
earth quake excitation – Simple problems on SDOF system – Concept on Seismic Design -IS 1893
(1984)- Provisions for Seismic Design: Reinforcement detailing as per IS Code.
1. Mario Paz, Structural Dynamics.
2. R.W. Clough & J. Penzien, Dynamics of Structures
3. Anil, K. Chopra, Dynamics of Structures
4. A.R. Chandrasekharan & Jaikrishna, Earth quake Engineering