GITAM University Food Process technology Syllabus
B.Tech. (BT) VII Semester
Departmental Elective: Food Processing Technology
Course Code : EURBT 731 Category: CE
Credits: 3 Hours : 3 per week
Principles of Food processing: Scope and importance of food processing. An over
view of Membrane technology. Micro-filtration, Ultra filtration (UF), Nano filtration
(NF) and Reverse Osmosis (RO) and their industrial applications. Microwave and
radio frequency processing.
Hurdle technology: concept of hurdle technology and its application. High Pressure
Concept, equipment for HPP treatment, mechanism of microbial inactivation and its
application in food processing. Ultrasonic processing: Properties and application of
ultrasonic processing techniques.
Application of technologies of high intensity light, pulsed electric field, ohmic
heating, IR heating, inductive heating and pulsed X-rays in food processing and
preservation. Nanotechnology its Principles and applications in foods
Food quality assurance and packaging: Methods of quality assessment of food
materials. Concept of codex Almentarious/HACCP/USFDA/ISO 9000 series.
Packaging operation, package function and design. Deteriorative changes in foodstuff
and packaging methods for prevention. Shelf life of packaged foodstuff. Methods to
extend shelf life.
Introduction to nutraceuticals. Manufacturing aspects of selected nutraceticals such as
lycopene, isoflavonoids, prebiotics and probiotics, glucosamine, phytosterols.
Formulation of functional foods containing nutraceuticals.
1. Fellows, P. & Ellis H.1990 Food Processing Technology. Principles and practice;
2. Jelen P. 1985.Introduction to food processing, Prentice Hall, Reston Virginia,
3. Food Processing: Principles and Applications, Michele Maracotte, Hosahalli
Ramaswamy, Taylor and Francis.
1. Barbosa-Canovas 2002. Novel Food Processing Technologies. CRC.
2. Gould GW.2000. New Methods of Food Preservation. CRC.
3. Shi J. (Ed) 2006. Functional Food Ingredients and Nutraceuticals: Processing
4. Nesser JR & German BJ.2004. Bioprocesses and Biotechnology for
Nutraceuticals. Chapman & Hall.
5. Early R.1995. Guide to Quality Management Systems for Food Industries. Blackie
6. Krammer A & Twigg BA.1973. Quality Control in Food Industry. Vol.I, II A VI
7. Macrae R, Roloson R & Sadlu MJ. 1994. Encyclopedia of Food Science &
Technology & Nutrition. VolXVI. Academic Press.