GITAM University Environmental Engineering I Syllabus
Introduction – Need for protected water supplies-objectives of water supply systems – Role of
Engineers in public health.
Quantity of water: Water demand-Estimating requirements – Design period- per capita
consumption, factors effecting –fire demand- fluctuations in demand – Population forecasting.
Sources of water – Classification – Choice of source with regard to its suitability- quantitatively and
qualitatively – Surface and Sub-surface sources, wells – classification, specific yield, sanitary well.
Intakes for collection of surface water: Types of Intakes : Lakes, river and canal intakes.
Transportation of Water- types of conduits – capacity and design – materials for pipes – pipe joints
– laying and testing of pipes – corrosion of pipes and control – leakages -detection and prevention.
Quality of Water : Objectives, Palatability, Quality control of water supply-Impurities in water,
Characteristics, Examination of water, water sampling and analysis, water borne diseases, Standards
of drinking water for different usages.
Purification of Water – Introduction, methods of Treatment: Objectives of water treatment – Basic
considerations of treatment – Pretreatment – Plain sedimentation – Coagulation – Flocculation and
sedimentation with coagulation-Filtration – Classification – Working principles – Construction and
operation – problems in filtration
Treatment of water: Disinfection of water-different methods-chlorination practices-chlorine demand
– taste and odour control – Removal of hardness- Iron and manganese- Fluorides.
Distribution Systems: Requirements, classification- Layouts and systems of layouts – analysis of
pipe network – different methods –– Fixing the capacities of Service Reservoirs.
Water supply Installations in buildings- plumbing systems, appurtenances in distribution system,
pipe fittings, storage of water, Design considerations. Maintenance of water supply Installations.
Text Books :
1. Dr. P.N. Modi, Water Supply Engineering, Standard Book House.
2. G.S. Birde & J.S.Birde, Water supply and Sanitary Engineering, Dhanpat Rai & Sons.
3. Duggal, Water supply and Sanitary Engineering, S.Chand & Company (Pvt) Ltd.
4. S.K.Garg, Water & Waste water Engineering, Vol. I, Khanna Publishers, fifth edition, Jan. 1987.
5. Dr.B.S.N. Raju, Water supply and Waste Water Engineering, TaTa Mc.Graw Hill.
6. Metcalf & Eddy, Waste Water Treatment, Disposal and Reuse, McGraw Hill, 2nd edition 1979.
7. Dr. P.N. Modi., Sewage treatment and disposal, Standard Book House.
8. Fair /Geyre/okun, Water & Waste water Engineering -Voulme-1, Wiley Toppan.