GITAM University Construction Management Syllabus
PERT and CPM : Introduction : Origin of PERT and CPM, Planning, Scheduling and controlling, Bar
charts, Milestone charts, weaknesses in Barcharts, PERT and CPM networks – Comparison, Event, Activity, Rules for drawing networks, Numbering the events (Fulkerson’s law), Dummy activities.
CPM-PERT- Network Analysis : Time estimate-Expected time, Earliest allowable occurrence time, Latest allowable occurrence time, slack, project duration, probability of completion, Start and Finish time estimates, Floats, Project scheduling, Critical and sub-critical path. Updating – Process of updating; when to update.
CPM Cost Model & Resources allocations, resource scheduling : Cost Analysis; direct and indirect costs,
operation time, Normal and crash times and costs, optimising project cost, crash limit, Free float limit,
Optimization. Resource smoothening. Resource levelling.
Management – Scope of Construction Management; Significance of Construction Management; Concept of
Scientific Management; Psychology in Management; A historical account of Management Philosophy; Qualities of Manager; The roles/functions performed by effective and competent Managers; The Manager: i) as a decision maker; ii) as a motivator, iii) as a communication-link; iv) as a conflictresolver; v) as a well – wisher of co-employees and the employer; etc.
Organization – Types of organization; Merits and demerits of different types of organization – Authority –
Policy – Recruitment Process and Training; Development of Personnel Department; Labour Problems;
Labour Legislation in India; ‘Workmen’s compensation Act of 1923 and Minimum Wages Act of 1948’, and
subsequent amendments. Safety in Construction.
Reference Books :
1. L. S. Srinath, PERT and CPM, Afflicted East West Press Pvt. Ltd, 2nd Edition 1975
2. PERT and CPM – Punmia, Laxmi Publications, 3rd edition 1987.
3. Guha and Sen Gupta, B, Construction Management and Planning.
4. A Shapero, Managing Professional People: Understanding Creative Performance.
5. Groups-G Egan, Interpersonal living: A Skill/Contract Approach to Human Relations Training.
6. U.K. Shrivastava, Construction Planning and Management –New Delhi, Galgotia Publications Pvt. Ltd – 1999.