Embedded Systems EC Syllabus for NIT Jalandhar
EC Syllabus for NIT Jalandhar
EC-354 Embedded Systems [3 0 0 3]
Embedded Processing Systems – Introduction, Components of Embedded Systems
Embedded Processors: Microprocessors, Microcontrollers, DSP and ASICs, Comparative Assessment of Embedded Processors Pipelining.
Memory Devices: ROM family, RAM family, Interfacing memory, Embedded Programming – C and C++, Programming languages for embedded systems: desirable characteristics of programming languages for embedded systems, low-level versus high-level languages.
Input-output Ports and Interfacing, I/O Programming Interrupts and their servicing, timing devices and interfacing, Analog I/O techniques Embedded Communications: Serial Bus, Parallel Bus, Networking and Wireless Standards
Introduction to Real-Time Operating System (RTOS), RTOS: memory management
I/O Management and Device Drivers
Software Engineering Practices: Embedded Software development process
Hardware-Software Co-design in an embedded system
Tools and Trends in Embedded systems design
1. Raj Kumar, “Embedded Systems: Architecture, Programming and Design”, Tata McGraw Hill,
Third Reprint, (2003).
2. John Catsoulis, O’Reilly, “Designing Embedded Hardware”, First Indian Reprint, (2003).
3. David E. Simon, “An Embedded Software Primer”, Pearson Education Asia, Fifth Indian Reprint,
4. Michael Barr, O’Reilly, “Programming Embedded Systems in C and C ++”, (1999).
6. J.W. Valvano, “Embedded Microcomputor System: Real Time Interfacing”, Brooks/Cole, 2000.
7. Jack Ganssle, “The Art of Designing Embedded Systems”, Newnes, 1999.
8. V.K. Madisetti, “VLSI Digital Signal Processing”, IEEE Press (NY, USA), 1995.