Electrical Science Syllabus for NIT Jalandhar
Network Laws and Theorems: Network Laws for D.C. networks, Node voltage & mesh current methods, Deltastar and star-delta conversion, Classification of network elements, Principle of superposition, Thevenin’s & Norton’s Theorems.
Single Phase A.C. Circuits: 1-phase EMF generation, Effective and Average values of sinusoids and determination of form factor, Analysis of simple RLC-series circuits, Solution of parallel circuits and resonance. Three Phase A.C. Circuits: 3-phase EMF generation, Delta and star connection, Line & phase quantities and relations, Solution of 3-phase circuits – balanced voltage & balanced load, Phasor diagrams, Measurement of power in three-phase circuits. Concept & working of wattmeter & A.C. watt-hour meters. Magnetic Circuits and Transformers: Analogy between electric & magnetic circuits, Ampere’s circuital law, Solutions of Magnetic Circuits, Hysteresis and Eddy current losses, constructional details, EMF equation, rating and phasor diagrams on no-load & full-load, Equivalent circuits, Regulation and efficiency, Open-circuit & shortcircuit tests.
Basic Semiconductor Concepts and Devices: Intrinsic and extrinsic semiconductors, diffusion and drift currents, p-n junction under open-circuit, reverse-bias and forward-bias conditions, p-n junction in the breakdown region, Ideal diode, terminal characteristics of junction diode, Load-line analysis of diode circuits, Bipolar junction transistor- physical structure and modes of operation, Transistor as a switch.
Feedback Amplifiers and Oscillators: Concept of feedback, positive and negative feedback, General feedback structure, Effect of positive and negative feedback on amplifier gain and bandwidth, advantages of negative feedback, basic principles of sinusoidal oscillators, Oscillation criteria.
Operational Amplifiers: Op-amp terminals, ideal Op-amp, equivalent model, Inverting and non-inverting configurations, Application of Op-amps.
Power Supplies: Block diagram of power supply, Half-wave, Full-wave and Bridge rectifiers, passive filers, Regulators, Line regulation and load regulation, Zener diode as voltage regulator, Working of Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS).
1. Del Torro, “Electrical Engineering Fundamentals”, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi
2. Kothari D P and Nagrath I J, “Basic Electrical Engineering”, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi (1996).
3. Nagsarkar T K and Suhija M S, “Basic Electrical Engineering”, Oxford Univ. Press, New Delhi (2005).
4. John D Ryder, “Electronic Fundamentals and Applications”, 5th PHI, New Delhi.
5. Boylestad and Nashelsky, “Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory”, 8th Ed, Pearson Education India, New Delhi (2002).
6. Edward Hughes, Mr Ian McKenzie Smith, Dr John Hiley, Dr Keith Brown, “Hughes Electrical & Electronic Technology”, 8th Ed., Pearson Education India, New Delhi (2002).