CUSAT Previous Question Papers BE CE 6th Semester Water Resources and Irrigation Engineering September 2010
CUSAT Previous Question Papers BE CE 6th Semester
Water Resources and Irrigation Engineering September 2010
CE 606 A/B WATER RESOURCES AND IRRIGATION ENGINEERING
PART – A
(Answer ALL questions)
1. (a) What is run-off? What are the factors that affect the run-off from a catchment area?
(b) What do you understand by precipitation? Explain various types of precipitation briefly.
(c) Write short notes on the following:
(i) Spherical flow in well
(ii) Well loss.
(d) Distinguish clearly between a shallow well and a deep well.
(e) What do you understand by gravity dam?
(f) Write a note on “filter criteria” for earth dam.
(g) Explain the qualities of a good siphon.
(h) Write a note on “location of head works”.
2. What are the methods of computing run-off from a catchment area? Give various formulae stating clearly the area for which each is applicable.
3. Find out the ordinate of a storm hydrograph resulting from a 3-hour storm with rainfall of 3, 4.5 and 1.5 cm during subsequent 3 hours intervals. The ordinates of unit hydrograph are given in the table below :
|Ordinates of unit|
4. (a) Assume an initial loss of 5 mm, infiltration index of 5mm/hour and base flow of 20 cumecs.
(b) What are the factors affecting ‘Duty’? How can ‘duty’ be improved?
5. (a) Write a note on reservoir sedimentation. How do you estimate the probable life of a reservoir?
(b) Describe in brief various types of weirs. Distinguish clearly between a weir and a barrage.
6. (a) What are the methods of controlling entry of silt at the head works of a canal?
(b) Write short notes on under sluices.
(c) Distinguish clearly between a low gravity dam and high gravity dam. Derive the expression used for such a distinction.
7.(a)Derive an expression for discharge through the body of an earth dam with horizontal filter at the downstream. Also derive an alternative expression if the flownet for the dam is known.