Bridge Engineering Syllabus
CE -432 Bridge Engineering
Introduction: Definition, components of a bridge, classifications, importance of bridge
Investigation of Bridges: Need for investigations, selection of bridge site, preliminary data to be
collected, design discharge and its determination, linear waterway, economical span, vertical
clearance above HFL, scour depth, choice of bridge type.
Standard Specifications: For road bridges, I.R.C. loadings, code provisions on width of carriage
way, clearances, loads considered etc. standard specifications for railway bridges, Railway bridge code.
Reinforced Concrete Bridges: T-beam bridge, Courbon’s theory for load distribution, balanced
cantilever bridges, illustrative examples, pre-stressed concrete bridges, (General discussions).
Sub Structure: Types of piers and abutments, design forces, design of piers and abutments.
Bearing and Joints : Various types of expansion bearing and fixed bearings, elastomeric
bearings, joints and their types. Introduction to construction, inspection and maintenance of
1. Victor D J “Essentials of Bridge Engineering” Oxford and IBH Publishers, New Delhi,
2. Vazirani & Ratwani “Design of Concrete Bridges, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 1986.
3. Bindra S P “Principles and Practice of Bridge Engineering” Dhanpat Rai & sons, New
4. Ponnuswamy S.,” Bridge Engineering” Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2003.
5. Punmia B.C.,Jain A.k.,Jain A.K.,”RCC Designs”, Laxmi Pub.(P) Ltd.,2003