Anna University Model Question Paper BE IV sem IT DATA BASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION.
IF 254 — DATA BASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A — (10 ´ 2 = 20 marks)
- List different data models.
- What is the difference between logical data independence and physical data independence?
- Define the following terms :
(a) Granting a privilege
(b) Revoking a privilege.
- Define Boyce–Codd normal norm. How does it differ from 3NF?
- What are the additional functions of distributed databases?
- Why is concurrency control needed? Give an example.
- What is transaction time relation?
- What are the insertion options available in CODASYL (network model)?
- Define the terms OLAP (Online Analytical Processing) and OLTP (Online Transaction Processing).
- What are the types available for access to databases on the World Wide Web?
PART B — (5 ´ 16 = 80 marks)
- (i) Consider the following relational database :
employee (employee_name, street, city)
works (employee_name, company_name, salary)
company (company_name, city)
manages (employee_name, manager_name)
Each of the following queries given an expression in a relational algebra :
(1) Find the names of all employees who work for First Bank
(2) Find the names, address and cities of resistance of all employees.
(3) Find the names of all employees in the data base who do not work
for First Bank Corporation.
(4) Give all managers a 10 per cent salary raise.
(5) Delete all tuples in the works relation for employees of Small Bank
(ii) What are factors that influence physical database design in relational databases? (6)
- (a) (i) Define primary key, super key and candidate key. (5)
(ii) Write any five naming conversions used for ER schema diagram. (5)
(iii) Discuss the various type of join operation in relational database. (6)
(b) (i) Discuss about the operations performed on files. (8)
(ii) What is a functional dependency? Explain minimal set of functional dependencies? (8)
- (a) (i) What are the cost components to be taken for query execution? (5)
(ii) How is select operation done in query processing? (7)
(iii) What is heuristic in query optimization? (4)
(b) (i) Discuss the internal and external hashing. (5)
(ii) Write algorithm procedures for the following : (8)
(1) Collision resolution in internal hashing.
(2) Search in lindear hashing.
(iii) What are the types available in ordered indices and explain? (3)
- (a) (i) Explain briefly about parallel join and parallel sort. (8)
(ii) Discuss about data manipulation and data definition in hierarchical
(b) (i) The following is the company database :
Employee : Name, Emp_No., Salary, Dept_No, Supervisor Emp_No.
Department : Dept_name, Dept_No, total_salary, manager
Write an active rules to find the total salary. (8)
(ii) Explain the multimedia data types and its application. (8)
- (a) (i) What is the difference between persistence and transient objects?
How is persistence handled in typical object oriented database
(ii) Discuss the concept of polymorphism. (6)
(iii) Compare object oriented and object relational databases. (4)
(b) (i) Describe the association rule among hierarchies with a suitable
(ii) What are the classification rules? How is regression related to
(iii) What are the main features of commercial available data mining