Anna University Exam Papers – Mechanical Engineering – Hydraulic & Pneumatic Controls – VI Semester
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI 25
MODEL QUESTION PAPER
B.E. MECHATRONICS ENGINEERING, VI SEMESTER
ME 341 HYDRAULIC AND PNEUMATIC CONTROLS
TIME – 3 Hours MAXIMUM : 100 Marks
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
PART – A (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
- What do you mean by cushioning of Fluid power actuators?.
- A double acting cylinder is hooked up in the regenerative circuit.
The relief valve setting is 68.94 bar and the Piston area
is 6.35 x 10-3m2 & the rod area is 1.778 x 10-3 m2. If the pump
flow is 75.706 lpm find the cylinder speed for retracting stroke
- List out the four types of fire resistant hydraulic fluids?
- What is F-R-L and what is the function of a lubricator?
- State the functions of accumulator in hydraulic Circuits?
- Draw the symbol for a relief value and pressure reducing value.
7. List out the basic types of filtering methods used in hydraulic systems.
8. List out the most widely used types of seal configurations.
9. What is a Pneumatic Vacuum System?
10. What is the use of ladder diagram?
PART B (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11(a) (i) .For the Hydraulic system shown below, the following data are given
The pump is adding 3.68 kW of power to the fluid.
Pump flow is 0.001896m3/sec
The pipe has a 0.0254m inside diameter.
The specific gravity of oil is 0.9
The kinematic viscosity of oil is 100mm2/sec
The elevation difference between stations 1 and 2 is 6.096m
Pipe lengths are as follows:0. 305m, 1.22m, 4.88m.
Find the pressure available at the inlet to the Hydraulic motor
(Station2). The tank top surface of the hydraulic tank is exposed
to atmosphere. The head loss due to friction between station1
and 2 is not known? (8 Marks)
(ii) Explain with neat diagrams closed loop (servo) electro hydraulic
control system and open loop hydraulic system (8 Marks)
12. (a) (i) Explain the working of an unbalanced fixed displacement
vane pump with a neat sketch. (8 Marks)
(ii) Explain the working of an axial piston pump of bent – axis
type with neat sketch. (8 Marks)
( OR )
(b) (i). Draw and explain constructional features of a 5/3-direction
control valve of linear type along with its graphical symbol. (8 Marks)
(ii). With neat sketch explain the operations of a pressure-
reducing valve. Sketch its graphical symbol (8 Marks)
- (a) With the help of circuits, explain how synchronizing of two
linear actuators are achieved by connecting them in series
and in parallel (16 Marks)
( OR )
(b) (i). Construct a hydraulic circuit to explain the application of regenerative system in a drilling machine. (8 Marks)
(ii) Construct a double pump hydraulic circuit employed
in a punching press and explain how it functions. (8 Marks)
14) a.(i) Design a fluidic box sorting system for two different sized
boxes moving on a conveyor by making use of the
preferenced flip flop ,DCV and Push buttons. (8 Marks)
(ii) Design a fluidic sequencing control of two pneumatic cylinders
using flip-flop, OR Gate, Push buttons, Directional control valves
etc for the following sequence;
Cylinder 1 extends
Cylinder 2 extends
Both cylinders retract together. (8 Marks)
( OR )
. (b) (i) Briefly explain the various electrical devices used in the
control of Fluid Power systems. (9 Marks)
(iI) Design and explain Electro pneumatic circuit for automobile reciprocation of a Double acting cylinder using pressure
switches. (9 Marks)
15 (a).(i) What is PLC? Explain the elements of PLC with
block diagram. (12 Marks)
(ii). Write down the advantage of PLC over electro mechanical
relays system. (4 Marks)
( OR )
(b). Design and explain a sequential circuit using cascade method
for the following sequence. (16 Marks)
A + B + A – B –