Anna university Exam papers – Civil Engineering – Transportation Engineering – II – VI SEM
ANNA UNIVERSITY :: CHENNAI – 600 025
B.E. / B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL / MAY 2004
CE338 – TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING – II
(Model Question Paper)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL questions
Part – A (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
1. State the role of railways in economic development of the nation.
2. What are the components of permanent way?
3. What do you understand by creep in rails? State any two of its impact.
4. What do you mean by Track-circuiting?
5. List the different types of airport parking systems.
6. Write different systems of aircraft parking adjacent to terminal building.
7. State any two factors which necessitate the navigational aids in water transport.
8. Compare the warehouse and transit sheds in terms of their purpose and location.
9. What is meant by BOT concept?
10. How net present value (NPV) is defined?
Part – B (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) Define the two measures of benefit cost ratio and evaluate the Benefit Cost Ratio
(b) The cash flow stream of a project is given below.
Year Cash flow in Rs.
Calculate the internal rate of return. (10)
12. (a) (i) Describe in detail the different types of surveys to be carried out in case of new
railway project. (10)
(ii) What are the factors on which the speed of the trains on curves depend? Write the
formulae that are generally employed in Indian Railways to find the speed of trains
on broad gauge, metre gauge and narrow gauge. (6)
(b) Explain the following of any four, with sketches if necessary. (4×4=16)
(ii) Super elevation
(iii) Widening of gauges in curves
(iv) Grade compensation
(v) Transition curves
(vi) Coning of wheels
13. (a) Draw a neat diagram of a simple right-hand turn out and show its various components. Explain the working principles of the turnout. (16)
(b) Define interlocking and explain the principles if interlocking. Describe the various mechanical devices used for interlocking. (16)
14. (a) (i) Describe the factors that influence the selection of site of an airport. (10)
(ii) What are the functions of ICAO and its structure? (6)
(b) Following are the average wind data for an airport site, for the wind intensity is above 6Kmph. Draw a wind rose diagram and determine the best orientation of runway. Determine the percentage of time in a year during which the runway can be used for flights. (16)
15. (a) (i) What are the requirements of good ports? Briefly describe the classification and the
components of harbours. (10)
(ii) Describe the following: (2 x 3 = 6)
1. Mooring and Mooring accessories 2. Navigational aids
(b) Explain with neat sketches, the functions and working principles of the following.
(4 x 4 = 16)
(i) Jetties (ii) Landing stages (iii) Spring fenders (iv) Dolphins.